How did I get where I am today. *Long Post*

So, many of you may wonder how I came to be the weight I am today.  Well if you have the time, I’ll tell you.

It started when I was a child.  My dad loves to snack on various foods.  My grandma ran a small daycare in her home so she always had really good snacks on hand.  I can remember being outside playing with the other kids.  I would run back into the house and grab a cookie or two out of the bag on the counter.  Or sometimes I would sneak out into the laundry room and take some out of the freezer located there.

I’d go outside and play for a bit longer.  Then I would come back in for more snacks.  I’m sure my grandma knew I was doing this but she never told me no.  As for at home.   I would go into the cupboard or freezer and eat most if not all of a particular snack.  Such as when my dad would make rice crispy treats.  I would eat most of them, leaving my dad 1 or 2.

I always had 2nd’s and 3rd’s at every meal when it was made available to me.  I would often lay on the floor in front of the television and eat as quickly as possible to beat my sister to the leftovers. 

The school cafeteria would allow you to buy a second portion usually for only $1.00 more at lunch time.  So on days where they were serving something really tasty I would try to have extra money to do so.  I had friends who didn’t particularly care for cafeteria food and would often give me their entree as well.

I always made sure I had money for movie friday’s.  The janitor would sell bags of popcorn for 50 cents and teachers would open their classroom closets with candy for purchase.  Of course the cafeteria sold ice cream every Tuesday.

There was one day in particular I can remember from Townsend Elementary School.  I don’t remember what grade I was in.  But I do remember it was my day to help in the cafeteria.  Such as cleaning tables, taking the trash out, etc..  After doing everything that was asked of me the cafeteria lunch lady brought out a whole pan of pizza.  There were 12 slices of pizza on the tray for 3 or 4 of us to share.  These were square slices of pizza probably 6 inches by 4 inches.  The were my fondest memory of school lunches.  They had crumbled Italian Sausage on them.  While it may have been meant for all of us.  None of the other kids on cafeteria duty wanted any of the pizza.  So I sat there and ate until I couldn’t stomach another bite.   I consumed at least 6 of the slices that I am sure of.

Moving ahead into my Junior High years.  They had more options for lunch then Elementary School.  I remember the Oatis Spunkmeyer Cookies.  They were 3 for $1.00 and I always splurged on at least 3, sometimes 6.

In High School we could finally leave school and eat off campus.  So we had the cafeteria, off campus food and another lunch option that we could choose foods such as frito chili pie and other various junk foods.  I would often go to my class after lunch with anywhere from 3 – 12 cookies to snack on.   Looking back I can say that I paid more attention to eating the cookies then I did to my schoolwork sometimes.

On summer holiday between High School years I found the joy of staying up all night and sleeping all day.  When my parents were getting up for the day I was just going to sleep.  When my dad was getting home for the day I was just waking up.  So I would often eat what my mom made for dinner as my breakfast.  Then I would stay up all night watching television and eating whatever I could find.  I often went to Homeland across the street and got individual brownie baking kits.  Just big enough for 4 brownies, but I’d usually just eat the brownie dough.

Very seldom did I ever actually cook the brownies.  Also on the menu were cookies, Taco Bueno, cheese dip, ice cream and whatever other snack foods I could make. 

This went on until I got hired on at the job I have now.  I got a call one day asking if I wanted a job where my dad worked.  I started out working full days until school started.  It wasn’t every day.  Just on busy days and weekends.  When school started I’d work from 3:30 to 7pm a couple nights a week. 

I often ate ice cream and snacks while at work and they kept a written tab to keep track of these things.  At the end of the week they would subtract them from my check.  There were a few times that I had eaten so much the boss came out of the office and told me to grab an ice cream bar.  That was all I had left of my check.  That continued on for a few years until I started working full time.

When I was 18 I gave up drinking soda all together.  I was drinking about 2 liters or a 12 pack of coke a day.  I can remember to this day the headaches I suffered for a week straight from caffeine withdrawal.

Then in 2005 when I started volunteering at my local zoo.  I started eating healthy and working Sunday’s with the animals.  I lost over 70 lbs by walking everyday and limiting my food intake.  I was doing really good until 2007 when the zoo staff decided to go to Africa to learn more about cheetah’s.  I was walking 3 or 4 miles a day every day of the week without a day off for over 2 years. 

Then we went to Africa and the first night me and a few friends went for a walk we were chased by a rhinoceros.  After that I didn’t walk anymore on my vacation.  That coupled with the work we had to do to help offset the cost of the trip and the limited portions we were given.  The first time we went to a convenience store. I stocked up on sweets and other foods I had prevented myself from eating for at least 2 years.

So when I got home I was no longer in the mood to walk anymore.  After missing 2 weeks of walking I simply didn’t have it in me anymore.  So I quickly got back up to 280 lbs.

Fast forward to today.  I don’t drink sodas often.  Maybe a couple times a month.  When I do drink soda it is sprite.  I don’t drink anything else such as coffee, tea, caffeinated beverages, etc..   I drink water 99% of the time.

However I love to eat foods high in fat, and salt.  Such as when I make cheese dip.  I’ll combine 1 lb velveeta, 1/2 a can of hot rotel, 1/2 a can of mexican style rotel, and a can of water.  I’ll eat the entire pan full of cheese dip along with a party size bag of tostitos scoops.  I’ll eat an entire large pizza from just about anywhere.  Just recently I’ve started making a batch of cookie dough.  Eating half of the dough and then eating some of the cookies after baking them.  All while making cheese dip as well.  So on these nights I easily consume 4-6000 calories.

I have been going up and down on my weight for years.  I’ve never quite gotten back down to the 200 lb mark I hit in 2007.  But I’ve gotten down to as low as 250 and as high as 317 lbs.  I swore to myself I would never be over 300 lbs. When I hit that mark I was upset with myself.  I did get back under 300 and haven’t been back over that number in over a year.  But I’ve been close.

I just need to find the will power again to do what I know needs to be done.  Farewell for the night.  I’m tired!

Leave a Reply